As promised, Hackney Library as of January 1, 2018 has been providing the Barton community access to the electronic version of the Chronicle of Higher Education’s premium articles and resources. Access is available from anywhere, whether on campus or off, and from both your computer and your mobile device(s).
A variety of features are included in this subscription:
- Unlimited access to all premium content at Chronicle.com
- Access to daily updates through newsletters like Academe Today and daily or weekly updates to 11 more e-newsletters
- Special reports and data such as the The Almanac of Higher Education and The Trends Report
- Archived issues back to 1989
- Emailed job alerts
There are a couple of ways to access the Chronicle:
- From on or from off campus, you may go directly to chronicle. com or
- On the library’s home page, hover over the “Search” link and then click on the “A-Z List” link, and choose “C”; then scroll down in the alphabetical listing to find the Chronicle link and click on it from there.
The Chronicle subscription through Barton allows you to set up an individual customizable account on the Chronicle.com site by using your Barton email address as your username and creating a password specific to the Chronicle site. (If you use an address other than your Barton email, the site will not be able to authenticate you as a Barton patron and you will not be able to take advantage of the access our subscription provides).
Creating a Chronicle.com Account
Creating your own Chronicle.com account allows you to access additional premium content that you cannot see otherwise, as well as to set up various alerts and more.
- To create a Chronicle.com account from your computer:
- Go to chronicle.com
- Click on the “Log In” link on the top right of the Chronicle web page.
- Choose the “Create an account now” option.
- Enter and confirm your Barton email address.
- Continue to follow the directions as they appear on the screen to complete the setup for your account.
- To create a Chronicle.com account from mobile device(s):
- Go to chronicle.com
- If you’re in mobile view, scroll down to click on the “Log In” link. Enter and confirm your Barton email address and follow the instructions on the setup pages.
- If you’re in the standard view: Follow the “If you’re off campus: computer” steps.
When you have successfully authenticated on the Chronicle site (automatic when you access it from on campus, or through logging into your Chronicle account from off campus), you will see the following message in the top right of your screen:
PREMIUM ACCESS PROVIDED BY BARTON COLLEGE
Have fun exploring, and let us know if you have any problems accessing the content!